The HSE estimate that past occupational exposure to known and probable carcinogens accounts for almost 8,000 cancer deaths each year – and the construction industry has the largest proportion of these deaths at around 3,500.
You should provide:
- clean and working toilets;
- washbasins with hot and cold running water;
- soap and towels;
- sinks large enough to wash face, hands and forearms;
- somewhere to change, dry and store clothing;
- drinking water, and cups if needed;
- a rest area to sit, make hot drinks and eat food.
You must also keep your welfare facilities warm and well ventilated, with lighting if necessary.
The Company’s Permit-to-Work system is designed to ensure that those affected are consulted at the planning stage to check that all eventualities have been considered when organising such activities and are an important means of minimising any risks involved.